Absent more FCC action on issues such as ownership and facilitating the ATSC 3.0 transition, the broadcast industry is quickly sliding toward a "period of catastrophic decline," FCC Commissioner Nathan Simington said Thursday. "We can't keep on the current trajectory" of stations closing and licenses falling into disuse, he said at a Media Institute event. The trend line on broadcaster bankruptcies is "a little bit like the beginning of a recession."
Today’s Top News
Top Senate Commerce Committee Democrats told us they are considering, but aren't yet committed to, scaling back or ceasing cooperation in advancing Republican nominees to federal entities ahead of a likely imminent panel confirmation hearing for GOP FCC nominee Olivia Trusty. Democrats are eyeing the tactic shift in response to President Donald Trump’s disputed March firing of Democratic FTC Commissioners Alvaro Bedoya and Rebecca Kelly Slaughter (see 2503190057) and other actions against independent agencies. Any roadblocks Democrats place against GOP picks would be largely symbolic and likely only delay Senate confirmations, given Republicans' 53-47 majority in the upper chamber, observers said.
Broadcasters attending the 2025 NAB Show in Las Vegas will be discussing industry competition, rising prospects for ownership deregulation, the potential of the FCC’s “Delete” docket, and their perennial hopes for monetizing ATSC 3.0, broadcasters, brokers and broadcast attorneys told us. The show runs from Saturday until Wednesday, April 9. There are “increasing drumbeats from every direction” pointing to ownership deregulation and the potential for station deals, Tideline Partners media broker Gregory Guy said in an interview. “I fully expect that 2025 will be the most important year this century for broadcast, radio and television.”
T-Mobile and EQT closed a deal to buy stakes in fiber-to-the-home provider Lumos, the companies said Tuesday. The launch of the joint venture follows the FCC’s approval of the underlying transaction last week (see 2503280023). T-Mobile is investing $950 million for a 50% stake in the joint venture, with plans for an additional $500 million investment in 2027-28. T-Mobile said when the deal was announced last April (see 2404250047) that it hoped it could be finalized in late 2024 or early 2025.
In comments posted Tuesday about competitive bidding procedures for the upcoming AWS-3 auction, CTIA opposed a tribal window that could allow tribes to obtain spectrum to serve some of the least connected communities in the U.S. The tribes pushed back firmly in their filings. Other commenters called for rules that would give smaller providers a better chance to succeed in the auction, which will offer licenses returned to the FCC by affiliates of Dish Network in 2023 and unsold licenses from the initial AWS-3 auction 10 years ago (see 2501230041). Comments were due Monday in docket 25-70 (see 2503110061).
Upcoming Events
Full CalendarPeople in the News
Boston Consulting Group reelects Christoph Schweizer to a second four-year term as CEO … Space infrastructure provider Redwire promotes Mike Gold to president-civil and international space business, a new position
Hogan Lovells adds former Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, I-Ariz., to its global regulatory and intellectual property practice group; Daniel Winkler, Sinema’s chief of staff, joins as a policy adviser
Intelligent infrastructure provider Ubicquia appoints Doug Yates, ex-Amazon MGM Studios, as chief marketing officer.
The Warren News Family of Publications
Warren News is the leading regulatory intelligence news service for trade, telecom and privacy professionals. Learn more about our family of publications below.