Seven 6 GHz automated frequency coordination (AFC) systems have completed the testing and public trial phase of certification but are waiting for the FCC to release the AFC certification public notice, the Wireless Innovation Forum said Tuesday in a monthly update. The forum said it’s also still waiting for Federal Register publication of the FCC’s Further NPRM proposing a geofencing system for very-low-power (VLP) operation above 14 dBm equivalent isotropic radiated power in the 6 GHz band (see 2310190054). Revised VLP rules take effect March 8, the forum noted. “The WInnForum 6 GHz committee is continuing to work on additional items to support AFC certification and future operation as well as reviewing the FNPRM in consideration of possibly commenting,” it said: “The Data Task Group is looking at data requirements to support VLP geofencing. The AFC Test and Certification [Working Group] is working to ensure all test specs are current.”
Public and consumer interest groups asked the FCC to adopt handset unlocking requirements for T-Mobile as part of its proposed buy of Mint Mobile (see 2303150032), now before commissioners. T-Mobile officials expect approval of the deal this quarter (see 2401260071). “T-Mobile’s proposed acquisition of Mint and Ultra Mobile raises concerns about the impact of the loss of these maverick [mobile virtual network operators] on the wireless market, including that consumers may face unnecessary obstacles when switching wireless provider,” the groups said in a Monday filing in docket 23-171. They note the FCC imposed an unlocking requirement on Verizon as part of its buy of Tracfone in 2021. “Consumer advocates have long argued that mobile phones should come unlocked by default, allowing users to more easily make choices about the device and service they purchase, as they can for other products,” said the filing by the Open Technology Institute at New America, Consumer Reports, Public Knowledge and the Benton Institute for Broadband & Society.
Representatives of the Rural Wireless Association completed a cycle of meetings with aides to the five FCC commissioners on a proposed 5G Fund (see 2402020063). The final session was with aides to Commissioner Anna Gomez. “As the FCC considers modifications to the 5G Fund rules, it should place focus and consideration on providing offers of cost-based support, for at least an 8-year period, to legacy high-cost mobile carriers with two million or fewer subscribers so that they can continue to serve their communities with reliable broadband services and have the needed certainty to plan their future network buildouts,” said a filing posted Monday in docket 20-32.
Roberson and Associates said most public safety 4.9 GHz licensees are using the band for mobile connections. The FCC is finalizing its approach on the band (see 2401020050). The firm examined 1,912 licensed entities and found that 98% hold a mobile-location-class license, according to a report filed last week at the FCC in docket 07-100. Meanwhile, 25% hold fixed and 23% hold both mobile and fixed allocations, Roberson said. Only 38 have a fixed without mobile allocation, the report said. It estimated 4.2% of public safety agencies utilize the band.
Dish Wireless representatives spoke with FCC Wireline Bureau staff about a 2021 petition to serve as an eligible telecom carrier (see 2111290051), and in particular, an amended petition last week to serve as an ETC in Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, New Hampshire, North Carolina and Washington, D.C. Through retail wireless offerings under the Boost Mobile and Gen Mobile brands, “DISH serves a significant number” of affordable connectivity program subscribers, the filing said.
The FCC is investigating AT&T's 2022 complaint against granting T-Mobile additional mid-band licenses in the 2.5 GHz band because of the carrier’s already huge position in the band (see 2211100066) and plans to include data from carriers in its investigation, said a Monday notice by the Wireless Bureau. T-Mobile has asked the FCC to dismiss the complaint (see 2211150017). The bureau said it plans to include a Numbering Resource Utilization and Forecast (NRUF) report, carrier-specific local number portability (LNP) data and other information in the record in the proceeding, subject to a protective order. Companies have until Feb. 15 “to oppose the limited disclosure of their NRUF and LNP data pursuant to the protective order,” the bureau said.
The Competitive Carriers Association and its members raised questions about the size of a proposed 5G Fund in meetings with FCC Wireless Bureau and Office of Economics and Analytics staff, a filing posted Friday in docket 20-32 said. Proceeding with a $9 billion budget, as proposed in 2020 (see 2310240046), “without sufficient rationale and updated analysis risks leaving areas in dire need behind and potentially leaving many states and territories with no benefit from the 5G Fund,” CCA said. Other items included raising eligibility to at least 35/3 Mbps “to be consistent with Administration and prior FCC precedent” and the need to time auctions to “best leverage” the NTIA’s broadband, equity, access and deployment program and other federal funding. The FCC should also ensure “accurate mobile mapping data and a robust mobile challenge process” prior to moving forward, CCA said. Among those attending the meetings were representatives of C Spire, Nex-Tech Wireless, Nsight, Southern Linc and Union Wireless. Rural Wireless Association representatives also discussed the fund with aides to Chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel and Commissioner Geoffrey Starks, as the group continues a series of meetings at the FCC (see 2402010037).
Competitive Carriers Association representatives sought additional changes to the FCC’s Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Reimbursement Program (see 2312040015) in a meeting with FCC Wireline Bureau staff. The representatives noted recent changes, “including increased staffing levels, faster invoice processing, facilitating increased efficiency in responses to Reimbursement Program staff, and the use of dedicated review teams,” said a filing posted Friday in docket 18-89. In addition, they asked for “streamlined reporting obligations, faster modification approvals, and more categorical treatment of substantially similar modification applications.” Among those at the meeting were representatives of Summit Ridge Group, Union Wireless, Viaero Wireless and Widelity.
President Joe Biden understands the importance of a “coordinated policy” that maximizes "the benefits the American people get from spectrum,” Austin Bonner, deputy U.S. chief technology officer-policy, said Thursday during the NTIA spectrum policy symposium's final panel. The White House's spectrum strategy reaffirms the FCC's and NTIA's roles, establishes the Interagency Spectrum Advisory Council (ISAC) and creates a White House-led mechanism for dispute resolution, providing “a consistent and clear place to bring challenges,” she said. During the many meetings the administration held before releasing the strategy, a consistent theme was “the need for senior level buy-in,” which led to ISAC's creation, she said. Bonner said the council is planning on meeting regularly. From the beginning of the administration, the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, where she works, the National Economic Council and the National Security Council “strongly agreed that spectrum policy needed to change” and “needed presidential-level direction,” Bonner said. The strategy ensures that, before spectrum studies are conducted, they’re coordinated between NTIA and the agencies. “That’s really critical,” said Matthew Pearl, NSC director and special adviser-emerging technologies. Something that emerged during recent spectrum fights was the importance of assumptions and methodology when bands are studied, Pearl said. The president wants a “science-based, data-based approach” on spectrum issues, he said. NTIA and ISAC will be unable to resolve some issues and that’s when the White House will step in and convene the agencies prior to a decision, he said. Pearl noted that he was previously at the FCC and worked on spectrum issues, including the C-band. The FCC and NTIA “have made significant progress” in working together, adopting and operationalizing a memorandum of understanding on proposed spectrum decisions, he said (see 2208020076). The White House is committed to resolving disputes “as early in the process as we can,” he said, acknowledging difficult spectrum issues will result in disputes. “We’ve turned a corner, but we also have set ourselves a challenging road,” Bonner said.
Prepaid provider Total by Verizon announced Thursday the launch of unlimited 5G Home Internet service, starting at $45/month. The offering can be purchased online or at Total stores. “Total by Verizon recognizes that most of the communities we serve have limited options for home broadband service,” said Ryan Weikert, Total managing director: “This new offering underlines our commitment to providing affordable connectivity across America.”