Nextel made its most complete filing yet on its concerns about the 800 MHz rebanding proposal published by the FCC on Aug. 6. Most issues raised were highly technical, but Nextel continues to put the most emphasis on financial issues.
An air-to-ground (ATG) telecom order resolving a fight between Airfone, owned by Verizon, and competitors including AirCell and Boeing has been sent to Chmn. Powell from the Wireless Bureau. However, sources told us Fri. that the item may not make the agenda for the Oct. 14 meeting since some of the commissioners’ offices are just starting to focus on the issue and may not be ready to vote. A broadband over powerline (BPL) order also was sent to the chairman from the Officer of Engineering & Technology and is likely to be the item that gets the most attention at the meeting.
Verizon Wireless Thurs. called on the FCC to order Nextel to fully disclose any “post-decisional” discussions the company has held with Commission staff on calculation of the value of spectrum that Nextel must relinquish as part of the proposed swap in the 800 MHz rebanding order. Verizon charged that the change Nextel is seeking could save it paying out as much as $700 million.
The FCC decision on the Cingular-AT&T Wireless merger could circulate among the 4 commissioners’ offices beyond Chmn. Powell’s as early as this week, sources said Tues. That would clear the way for a vote on an FCC order sometime in Oct., though it could get pushed back until after the election. Sources also said that wireline-wireless competition issues raised by the merger were getting late attention.
The FCC Thurs. overrode wireless industry objections and approved a rulemaking and spectrum reallocation that will start the ball rolling toward a controversial auction of H-block spectrum, most likely within the next 2 years. The order passed 5-0 despite the vociferous objections of most wireless carriers.
Competition is flourishing in the CMRS (commercial wireless) marketplace, the FCC said Thurs. in its annual CMRS competition report. In a development that was a surprise to carriers, FCC revealed that for the first time it’s doing an HHI analysis of competitiveness in individual regions, which is the analysis instrument the Justice Dept. uses.
The Tower Siting Policy Alliance, representing 2 tower companies and 3 major wireless carriers including Cingular, said in a filing at the FCC it would support a compromise offered by historic preservationists on the National Programmatic Agreement (NPA) on wireless towers, if that will lead to a successful agreement. The offer comes amidst reports the NPA may still get an FCC vote this week.
The committee that will select a transition administrator (TA) who will oversee the multiyear, multibillion dollar 800 MHz rebanding faces a Sept. 20 deadline for picking a firm or individual to run the process. Public safety sources said Tues. they're growing increasingly anxious about the time it will take them to reband and about the approaching deadlines. Nextel has yet to indicate whether it will agree to the terms of the order. “Most people don’t realize how quickly that committee is supposed to choose someone to oversee the rebanding,” said a carrier source. “It’s a tall order.”
Wireless carriers are meeting with all 5 FCC comrs. or their staff in an effort to delay consideration of a proposed H-block auction. They're getting together before Thurs. evening, when the item is expected to be placed on the sunshine agenda, cutting off further lobbying. But carriers say the odds are the FCC will schedule a vote as planned at the Sept. 9 meeting.
Motorola and the National Public Safety Telecom Council (NPSTC) clashed at the FCC last week over deployment of 4.9 GHz spectrum and the “mask” needed to minimize interference, as some public safety groups move toward deployment of this newly created band. Sources said once that critical issue is resolved they expect an FCC decision within 2 months.