Commerce Inspector General Slams FirstNet Conduct, Finds Whistleblower Retaliation
The Department of Commerce's Office of Inspector General (OIG) released summaries of two reports Thursday that were sharply critical of actions by the FirstNet Authority. One found that some FirstNet officials worked to block an OIG investigation, while the second found incidents of retaliation against a FirstNet employee who cooperated with OIG.
Sign up for a free preview to unlock the rest of this article
Communications Daily is required reading for senior executives at top telecom corporations, law firms, lobbying organizations, associations and government agencies (including the FCC). Join them today!
The investigation led to changes in leadership at the authority, but no criminal charges were filed, OIG said. FirstNet responded this month, noting a change in leadership and saying that “several individuals involved in the investigation are no longer employed by the Department and appropriate counseling was provided to those who remain,” the first report said. It didn't name names.
OIG said it submitted its findings to the department in April, though it didn't offer exact timelines for when the alleged misconduct occurred. FirstNet announced May 1 that then-Chief Counsel Mike Cannon was the new executive director and CEO (see 2505010011). A news release didn’t mention Joseph Wassel, a DOD veteran who was picked to lead the authority two years earlier. FirstNet didn’t comment Thursday.
Richard Carrizzo, chair of their authority's broad until last fall, said in an email to us that NTIA is “ultimately accountable for the conduct and performance of its career personnel,” which is “outside the purview” of the board and its focus on policy. "The conduct described in the OIG summary falls far short of the professionalism and integrity expected of government officials, reflecting poorly on the NTIA leadership under the prior administration,” he said.
The OIG said it received three complaints from senior FirstNet officials, who alleged that authority leadership tried to obstruct audits by the OIG Office of Audit and Evaluation. The “misconduct” included “planning to ‘combat the OIG’ by seeking compromising information about the Inspector General” and directing authority staff “to track and report communications with OIG, insert improper disclaimers into emails, and record conversations with OIG employees,” the first report said.
The complaint also alleged that leadership took retaliatory action against some staff members -- “including placement on administrative leave, loss of duties, and pressure to resign” -- after they cooperated with the OIG investigation.
OIG said it examined the complaints and found that FirstNet officials had “altered or withheld documents” OIG had requested, “including after-action reports and meeting minutes, impeding the accuracy and timeliness of information needed for OIG audits.” It also found internal communications emphasizing a “’warlike’ relationship toward OIG” that “referred to OIG as their ‘common enemy.’”
In addition, FirstNet officials “attempted to identify and intimidate staff who communicated with OIG personnel, including but not limited to improperly monitoring employees’ communications with OIG, and in one case taking retaliatory action against an employee who cooperated with OIG,” the report said.
“Collectively, these actions violated the requirements” that authority employees “cooperate with OIG and protect employees from retaliation, thereby interfering with OIG’s statutory right of access and duty to keep the Secretary of Commerce and Congress informed of serious issues affecting FirstNet Authority.”
The second report addressed a whistleblower complaint, finding “that the complainant established a prima facie case of retaliation.”
FirstNet is building a national network with AT&T, which AT&T officials said last month now has more than 7.5 million subscribers. An AT&T spokesperson declined to comment on the OIG reports.