Telnyx Fighting FCC's Proposed Robocall Fine
Telnyx is pushing back on the FCC's proposed $4.5 million fine for allegedly not doing enough to verify the identity of a supposed robocall scammer (see 2502040065). A source familiar with the issue said CEO David Casem met with agency…
Sign up for a free preview to unlock the rest of this article
Communications Daily is required reading for senior executives at top telecom corporations, law firms, lobbying organizations, associations and government agencies (including the FCC). Join them today!
staffers this week. In a statement emailed to us Wednesday, Casem said the FCC enforcement action "must have snuck past the new FCC leadership, but sunlight is the best disinfectant." The statement continued: "We are optimistic that as more people understand how a Biden-era 'regulation by enforcement' approach managed to sneak through the cracks, the agency will reverse course." In a letter last week to FCC Chairman Brendan Carr, Telnyx said it "consistently used industry best practices to deter often sophisticated bad actors who seek to engage in illegal calls" and often went beyond what was required. It said the agency's decision to punish it "for properly and quickly responding to a sophisticated bad actor’s brief, single-instance evasion of Telnyx’s controls" is unprecedented. The notice of apparent liability doesn't jibe with FCC statements that it doesn't expect perfection or that telecom service providers' measures must be 100% effective, the company said. "Enforcement of the rule to now require perfection is the sort of 'unfair surprise'" to which the White House has voiced opposition as a regulatory approach.