Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Ted Cruz, R-Texas, said Monday he and 12 other panel Republicans filed a Congressional Review Act resolution of disapproval to undo a July 2024 FCC order that lets schools and libraries use E-rate support for off-premises Wi-Fi hot spots and wireless internet services, as expected (see 2501160039). Cruz has repeatedly opposed proposals expanding E-rate’s scope to pay for off-campus hot spots (see 2307310063). The 5th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals tossed Maurine and Matthew Molak's challenge to the July order (see 2409260046) but is still reviewing another case the couple brought against the FCC’s 2023 declaratory ruling (docket 23-60641) clarifying that Wi-Fi on school buses is an educational purpose eligible for E-rate funding. Cruz said in a statement that the CRA resolution aims to “reverse the Biden FCC’s overreach and put parents back in control of their children’s online access.” Every “parent of a young child or teenager either worries about, or knows first-hand, the real dangers of the internet,” Cruz said. “The government shouldn’t be complicit in harming students or impeding parents’ ability to decide what their kids see by subsidizing unsupervised access to inappropriate content.” Other Republicans who co-sponsored the CRA resolution include Senate Majority Leader John Thune of South Dakota and Armed Services Committee Chairman Roger Wicker of Mississippi.
USTelecom urged legislative action to shore up lawmakers’ mandate for the USF amid the “existential threat” posed by the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals’ 2024 en banc decision that the program’s contribution factor is unconstitutional (see 2407240043). The U.S. Supreme Court is reviewing the 5th Circuit’s ruling (see 2501170046). In an open letter Friday, USTelecom said Congress should “reaffirm” its bipartisan will to maintain USF “and reform how the program is funded.” It added, “Reform must begin by requiring Big Tech companies that benefit massively from universal connectivity to join in contributing to this vital national commitment.” Some lawmakers and other observers believe Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Ted Cruz, R-Texas, may move Congress’ USF revamp toward making the program subject to the federal appropriations process (see 2411270060). In addition, USTelecom said NTIA, under President Donald Trump, “should roll back rate regulation and other requirements” for the $42.5 billion BEAD program “that Congress never asked for, while retaining a significant role for fiber, the high-speed broadband gold standard.” Removing BEAD requirements Congress didn’t mandate in the 2021 Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act “would shed the unwanted baggage and accelerate what matters most -- getting the work of connecting everyone done,” USTelecom said. “Restoring a tight focus on the mission -- broadband deployment – can dramatically accelerate efforts to fill gaps in high-speed service, helping unlock economic opportunities and access to innovation throughout” the country. USTelecom also urged lawmakers to “move again” on the American Broadband Deployment Act permitting package that the House Commerce Committee approved in 2023 (see 2305240069). The measure, which groups together more than 20 GOP-led connectivity permitting bills, drew unanimous opposition from House Commerce Democrats, and local government groups continued lobbying against it last year (see 2409180052). “Congress should green light speeding up approvals for more broadband projects on federal lands,” USTelecom said: “With a third of our nation’s land under federal control, federal permitting reform would provide an immediate adrenaline shot to the capacity, sophistication, reach and security of our nation’s information infrastructure.”
The Senate Commerce Committee unveiled plans for a confirmation hearing Jan. 29 for commerce secretary nominee Howard Lutnick. The committee said Wednesday night that the hearing will follow a 10 a.m. meeting to vote on its rules for the 119th Congress. Both events will be in 253 Russell. Lutnick “is an excellent choice to lead” the Commerce Department, and his experience as Cantor Fitzgerald CEO and in other roles “will serve him well in his mission to promote America’s unlimited entrepreneurial spirit,” said Senate Commerce Chairman Ted Cruz, R-Texas. He “will play a key role in unleashing unprecedented innovation and ensuring our nation’s job creators are well equipped to expand opportunities for good-paying jobs.” Lutnick, who headed President Donald Trump's transition team for his second term, said just before the Nov. 5 election that the U.S. should auction broadcast spectrum only to broadcasters that “agree to be nonpartisan” (see 2410280037). Lutnick’s comments came amid Trump’s fights with several major broadcasters over election coverage.
Senate Commerce Committee ranking member Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., hopes President Donald Trump and lawmakers can resolve the TikTok divestiture uncertainty amid the White House’s 75-day pause in enforcement of the Protecting Americans From Foreign Adversary Controlled Applications Act’s requirement that ByteDance sell the platform (see 2501210070). “We’ve given every tool possible” to combat Chinese government influence over the app, including the divest-or-ban statute, Cantwell said on the Senate floor. “Now it’s time to get this into the hands of U.S. innovators and move forward.” She doesn’t “know that a joint venture with the Chinese is going to rectify” those concerns. “They can’t continue to own and influence this process,” Cantwell said. “But U.S. innovation and U.S. ownership can drive us forward, can drive a better experience for our young people” who use TikTok. She hailed “agentic AI” as helping consumers “control the algorithms that billionaires or foreign governments have been using to control us.” The technology will help people “take in massive amounts of information from the internet ... and then apply filters ... so that we only get the information that we want to see and not what somebody else wants to do with our information.”
Sen. John Kennedy, R-La., said Tuesday the FCC should “revisit” its 3-2 September decision that granted radio broadcaster Audacy’s request for a temporary waiver of foreign-ownership requirements to complete a bankruptcy restructuring that included George Soros-affiliated entities purchasing its stock (see 2409300046). The Audacy order drew strong congressional GOP opposition in the lead-up to the November presidential election, including a House Oversight Committee probe (see 2409270053). Kennedy, who previously chaired the Senate Appropriations Financial Services Subcommittee, which has jurisdiction over FCC funding, framed the Soros-affiliated entities’ purchase of Audacy stock as a “weird” sale that included WWL(AM) New Orleans. The waiver request “went through the FCC like green grass through a goose,” just ahead of the election, Kennedy said on the Senate floor Tuesday. Jessica Rosenworcel's FCC, which included three Democrats at the time, “short-circuited the normal process,” despite objections from current Republican Chairman Brendan Carr and Commissioner Nathan Simington. “These licenses and these airwaves do not belong to me or the FCC or to Audacy or to WWL,” Kennedy said. “They belong to … the American people. And we're supposed to make sure, through our FCC … that these licenses are not just given away.” The FCC didn’t immediately comment.
NCTA CEO Michael Powell and CTIA Executive Vice President Brad Gillen are among those set to testify Thursday during a House Communications Subcommittee hearing on spectrum legislative issues, the Commerce Committee said Tuesday. House Commerce Chairman Brett Guthrie of Kentucky and other Republicans are eyeing using an upcoming budget reconciliation package to move on spectrum legislation (see 2501070069). Other witnesses on House Communications’ hearing docket: Public Knowledge CEO Chris Lewis and the Trump administration's former acting NTIA Administrator Diane Rinaldo, now Open RAN Policy Coalition executive director. The panel will begin at 10 a.m. in 2123 Rayburn.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., voiced support Thursday for extending ByteDance’s Jan. 19 deadline to divest TikTok after Sen. Ed Markey, D-Mass., unsuccessfully attempted to advance his Extend the TikTok Deadline Act (S-103) delay proposal Wednesday night by unanimous consent. S-103 and House companion HR-391 seek a 270-day extension of the divestment deadline (see 2501140075). “We aren’t against TikTok,” Schumer said on the floor Thursday. “We want TikTok to keep going. But we are against a Chinese company that is in cahoots with the Chinese Communist Party owning TikTok.” Schumer said TikTok “as it exists today has too many security risks that cannot be ignored,” but it’s “clear that more time is needed to find an American buyer and not disrupt the lives and livelihoods of millions of Americans, of so many influencers who have built up a good network of followers.” It’s “stunning” that Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Tom Cotton, R-Ark., objected to Markey’s bid to move S-103 by UC because “time is running short,” Schumer said: “We will continue to work to find a responsible solution to keeping TikTok going, protect American livelihoods and protect against Chinese Communist Party surveillance. We must and can do all three.”
House China Committee Chairman John Moolenaar, R-Mich., urged that the Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S. review Skydance Media's proposed $8 billion purchase of Paramount Global because of Tencent’s investment in Skydance. The Center for American Rights argued earlier this week that Tencent’s status as part of DOD’s list of Chinese military companies operating in the U.S. warrants an FCC probe of Skydance/Paramount (see 2501140048). “We’ve heard from multiple Hollywood executives about rampant self-censorship designed to curry favor with the Chinese Communist Party,” Moolenaar said in a statement Wednesday night. DOD’s recent classification of “Tencent as a Chinese military company” means “CFIUS should closely scrutinize the proposed merger to ensure the Chinese Communist Party is not further solidifying its hold on the American entertainment industry.” Senate Intelligence Committee Vice Chairman Mark Warner, D-Va., in a separate statement, said the “potential for a [People's Republic of China] national champion like Tencent to hold a significant financial stake in a major US content conglomerate raises serious concerns and should absolutely prompt CFIUS scrutiny.”
House Appropriations Committee Chairman Tom Cole, R-Okla., said Wednesday he's retaining the chairmen of subcommittees with jurisdiction over the FCC, FTC, NTIA and other Commerce Department agencies, the DOJ Antitrust Division and CPB. Rep. Dave Joyce, R-Ohio, will continue leading the Financial Services Subcommittee. Former House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., will remain ranking member. Rep. Hal Rogers, R-Ky., will keep the Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies Subcommittee. Rep. Grace Meng, D-N.Y., is the subpanel's new ranking member. Rep. Robert Aderholt, R-Ala., will retain his post as Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies Subcommittee chairman. Aderholt spearheaded bids in 2023 and 2024 to end CPB's advance appropriations (see 2407100060). House Appropriations ranking member Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut will continue as the subpanel's lead Democrat.
Bipartisan, bicameral legislation filed Tuesday seeks a 270-day delay for ByteDance’s Jan. 19 deadline to divest TikTok (see 2501100058). Sens. Ed Markey, D-Mass.; Ron Wyden, D-Ore.; and Cory Booker, D-N.J., along with Rep. Ro Khanna, D-Calif., introduced the Extend the TikTok Deadline Act. “The TikTok ban was rushed through without sufficient consideration of the profound consequences it would have on the 170 million Americans who use the platform,” said Markey. The bill “is a straightforward, one-sentence bill designed to give Congress the time needed to fully assess the implications of this ban.”